Pages

.

Teddy Bear Birthday Cake


Tomorrow the littlest Humble turns two and I will be spending most of today working on the food and cake for her party. However, I just finished this ferocious bear cake today, so on the blog it goes.

I picked up this Build a Bear cake pan last year for my daughter's first birthday. It was pretty easy (believe it or not) and made a cute centerpiece, so I decided to give the cake another go this year.

Last year's Bear Cake:



(This one is glazed with a little more cocoa, hence the color difference... and yes that is an enormous candle on that cupcake. I think we forgot to pick up normal candles for her cake last year. My brain had been addled by holiday preparations and I forgot)

Last year the teddy bear was dressed up like a princess, this year the bear will be wearing the same dress and accessories as my daughter.



Now, we don't eat the bear cakes. I mean, how can you decapitate a teddy bear in front of your toddler and eat it? More so, can you do that to one dressed exactly like your kid? Talk about a freaky birthday party. Might as well put a down payment on all that therapy your kid is going to need now.

So, we use the bear as centerpiece on the buffet table. Last year I gave her a yummy pink vegan cupcake to devour, or rather coat herself in as most babies her age tend to do. This year, since she will likely eat the cake, I am baking a mini cake to place in front of the bear in her favorite flavor: Chocolate.

The chocolate cake photos will come later, as I'm still working on the assembly.

So here are a few photos from the bear's assembly process:



Turning the cake out of the pans and trimming it.

Applying butter creme to hold the two sides together.

Glazing the bear with powdered sugar, little cocoa and milk.

Coating the head in turbinado sugar.

Thoroughly coating my floor and counters with the stuff as well.



Fondant in process. About to put 'shoes' on those ridiculous blocky bear feet. Should I ever try to put shoes on this bear again, I'm going to trim the feet into something a little less brick-like.




Finished bear cake



I used about half pound of fondant for the bear. I tinted most of it navy blue for the dress. The shoes are tinted light gray with super black and brushed with silver luster dust. The soles are fondant tinted with warm brown. The eyes and nose are more fondant tinted with super black. Most of the fondant is 'glued' to the bear with butter cream.

The striped areas are thin strips of navy blue rolled onto a sheet of white fondant and then cut out. The ribbon was held in place with a little royal icing. The white scalloping is white fondant cut out with a scalloped short bread cutter and pasted onto the dress with a little royal icing.



Oh and for anyone who has emailed me recently and has not yet received a reply, I will get around to it.

I'm just, you know... cooking. A lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment