Pages

.

Dead Man's Peanut Butter Pie



Mother humble and I were sorting through old recipes and talking about how dishes can go out of style. Like the once popular puff pastry stuffed with chicken in cream cheese recipe that just didn't sound good anymore. Many of her old recipes would make a cardiologist weep and lucky for all of us, her newer recipes emphasized a lighter fare. Flipping through the old recipes also brought up the infamous peanut butter pie.

My younger siblings and I loved this creamy peanut butter pie growing up. Until one day when I was six or seven, when I was told she wouldn't be making it anymore. Why? Mother Humble told me, and I quote "because it will kill you."

That was it.

No more peanut butter pies for twenty years.

So we were discussing the deadly nature of her old recipes and I reminded her about the time she told me as a kid that my favorite pie would kill me and how she would never make it again. She laughed and we both agreed we needed to resurrect the simple and deadly peanut butter pie while she was still in town.

Mother Humble's Dead Man's Peanut Butter Pie:
1 pie crust or gram cracker crust in a 10" pie pan or 4 similarly prepared 6" tarts

1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 eight ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup powdered sugar

Chocolate Glaze
3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup heavy cream

Directions
In a bowl whip the cream with the granulated sugar and set aside. In your mixer beat the remaining ingredients until well blended. Reduce speed and slowly beat in the whip cream scraping down the sides of the bowl until just blended. Pour into your prepared pie crust and even out the top.

Prepare the glaze by placing the chocolate chips into a heat safe bowl and set aside. Bring the heavy cream to a simmer over medium heat and then pour over the chips and let stand for a minute then mix until smooth.

Smooth the glaze over the peanut butter pie and chill for several hours before serving. The dead men cut from extra pie crust are of course optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment