Pages

.

Sparkling Snowflake Sugar Cookies



Not all my cookies are nerdy; some are completely normal.

Here are some of the 200 cookies that kept me busy on Friday. These were packaged up in glass jars to be handed out as gifts. Others were laid out for munching at a holiday party this afternoon.

They were really simple to make (which is great when you're making hundreds), no food coloring needed, iced with a single tip and quickly decorated with scattered sugars and nonpareils.



To make these cookies I used my standard cookie and royal icing recipes (both are linked here). I used a few of my Fox Run Five Piece Snowflake Cookie Cutter Set to do the cut outs. I used the two largest cutters to do the cookies and then removed some of their centers with the two smallest cutters.



I made a batch of royal icing, and rather than mixing it to hold a stiff peak I added just a little more water. Not enough to make it suitable for flooding mind you, but just enough so that I could pipe my icing onto the cut out snowflakes and have it settle smoothly but not run off the edge. I filled my piping bag with this icing (reserving some for flooding) and used a small round #3 Ateco piping tip. On my cookies, I either piped the icing onto the entire surface or I did outlines and other simple designs. I then sprinkled some of my cookies with sanding sugar, coarse sanding sugar or nonpariels after I finished each one and set them aside to dry.



For the cookies without the cutouts I piped a border around the edge and flooded them with my remaining royal icing. I then either let these dry or sprinkled on more sanding sugar, coarse sanding sugar or nonpariels. For the cookies that I allowed to dry plain, I piped some additional designs ontop of the dry flood work (dots, stars, outlines and other simple designs). I then sprinkled these with sugar to help the designs stand out against the floodwork background.



One last nerdy note, a few of these cookie cutters could pass as fractals. Mmmmm, duel use cookies cutters.

No comments:

Post a Comment