Pages

.

Science Cookies: Atom


More science cookie fun! Atom cookies!


Ok, before the physics/chemistry folks remind me that atoms don't actually look like that, let me remind everyone that modeling the three dimensional probability cloud of an electron with frosting just isn't going to happen in my kitchen. Sorry! Ms. Humble is taking some artistic license here.
Obviously I didn't even including a nucleus with these. Well, I did for some but the cookies just looked far more interesting uncluttered by a nucleus.

Besides, I wanted to use silver dragees for electrons, so I had to define an absolute location for them. I just tossed out all that electron 'wave' nonsense. That's right, I can do that. No probability distribution for me, I know where those electrons are. They're right there on my cookies.



So we're using Martha Stewart's Chocolate Cut Out Cookie recipe for this (link), even though I admit I am not a huge fan of this cookie's somewhat boring flavor. Maybe I just expect too much from a chocolate cookie. Perhaps a kind, fellow baker will point me in the direction of a really tasty chocolate cookie cutout recipe sometime...maybe? I would really appreciate it.

So for these cookies I used a simple flower cookie cutter to cut the shape, one that would allow for several electron orbitals on it. This one fits three, what does that make it... lithium? Anyway, then I just piped overlapping ellipses on the cookie with royal icing and placed a silver dragee on each orbit.

Very simple science themed cookies.

This one is kind of scary, it has 2 bonded electrons on the same orbital... is that dangerous?



Last but not least, a cookie with a nucleus for the purists:



I even used gold and rose colored dragees to differentiate between the protons and neutrons. I hope that pleases everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment