Pages

.

Mini Chocolate Butterfly Cake



This little cake is for the birthday girl. Not a typical birthday cake for a child, but it involves all her favorite things: Chocolate with chocolate and more chocolate. I added the rabble of butterflies to give it a slightly girly feel.

My original plan was to make something involving lots of marzipan but I realized that was the cake I wanted to eat. My daughter however, doesn't give a fig for marzipan (yet). She is a fan of all things chocolate; ever since she discovered a bag of Hershey kisses at 8 months old, and then coated herself (and my ivory couch) with them.

So this is a four layer, high ratio chocolate cake, for which I will share the recipe at a later date since I have guests arriving in a couple hours. It is layered with whipped soft chocolate ganache and surrounded by a dark chocolate collar. The top has been stenciled with a little cocoa.



This was my first attempt at chocolate butterflies and they are so easy! I just printed out some photos of butterflies and slipped them under a sheet of parchment paper. I could still see the outlines of the butterflies and then I began to pipe dark chocolate over the outlines. With a few I piped the wings without a body to connect them, so I could manipulate the position of the wings on the cake. I placed my sheet of butterflies into the freezer to cool for about 10 minutes and then pulled them out and stuck them to my cake with a little more melted dark chocolate. That is it!

Now this cake is for eating! Hopefully I'll remember to get a photo of it sliced before the kiddo dives in.

No comments:

Post a Comment