Pages

.

Science Cookies: Zebrafish



Quick post tonight, because I am up to my elbows in icing trying to whip out several hundred cookies for a holiday party this weekend.

Tonight's cookie is yet another model organism, this time the humble zebrafish.

I finally had an excuse to use some of the edible glitter I have kicking around in my kitchen. However, once I cracked open the little jar and saw the fine powder, I was terrified of it.

Nothing that sparkly should be food safe, it just isn't natural. Granted, it does make the fish shimmer in a semi-realistic--and somewhat menacing--way. Like one of those frogs or insects that use brightly colored markings to indicate (or mimic) toxicity and deter predators from eating them. I found myself reluctant to take a bite.

Of course, I did try them. Two, actually, to see just how edible this 'edible glitter' really is. I expected it to be gritty or to add some texture but I couldn't actually feel or taste anything. They taste so... normal. Which I suppose is a good thing.

The one difference I did note was the absurdly glittery lips that resulted from eating these cookies. A plus I suppose, if you want to adopt that chic Patrick Tribett look.

No comments:

Post a Comment