Pages

.

Omnomruffles



I apologize for the uncharacteristic lack of posts this last weekend. I've been working hard in the kitchen playing with new recipes and churning out the baked goods. My latest obsession is tarts and they will all be making an appearance on the blog over the next week, but for now I am going to start Monday off right, with truffles.

Omnomruffles!

A mouthfull I know, but I am all sugar-charged at the moment and the name amused me. Perhaps when I come down off this truffle induced sugar high, I'll wonder what I was thinking. However, since I created the recipe, I can make the name as silly as I please. After all there is no regulatory body stopping me from naming my creation something so absurd as Rabid Polka-dot Badger Truffles. Which, now that I think of it...


Naw.

So this is one of the recipes I've created to deal with the pounds of dulce de leche I have sitting around. These were inspired by Not So Humble reader Marina and her tart suggestion (which by the way were delicious, thank you!).

The truffles are delicious! Rich with chocolate and hazelnut flavors that finishes with the silky hint of milk caramel.




I've reworked this recipe. The truffles are now less fudgy and more inline with a traditional truffle center. It requires more work, but the end result is an incredibly smooth, melt in your mouth truffle.


Not So Humble Omnomruffles:
132 grams of finelly chopped dark chocolate (I'm using 54% cacao)
6 tablespoons heavy cream
1/4 cup Nutella
1 heaping tablespoon dulce de leche

dutch processed or natural powder for dusting

Place the chopped chocolate into a heat safe bowl and set aside. Bring the heavy cream to a simmer over medium heat and then pour over the chocolate. Allow the mixture to stand for one minute and then stir until melted.

Using a fine mesh sieve, strain the mixture into a second bowl. Add the Nutella and dulce de leche and mix well. Chill the mixture until firm and no longer glossy.

The ganache mixture at room temperature.
It is still slightly glossy and will need to be chilled prior to handling.


Roll balls of the mixture between your palms, working quickly not to warm the centers and set onto a tray. Chill the centers for a hour in the refrigerator before rolling in cocoa powder.

You can use either dutch processed cocoa or natural, according to your preferences. I prefer the brighter flavor and acidity of natural cocoa, but dutch processed works equally well.

The truffles should be kept chilled in an air tight container. Bring to room temperature before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment