Pages

.

Yes, there really is a prize.

This marks the end of the NSHP-Contest!

Time to get to the loot...

When I landed in Morocco a few weeks ago I knew I needed to hunt down a prize. Only, I had no idea what I was looking for. I figured it should be food related, as this is a food blog frequented by food lovers, so that seemed like it would be a good choice. It also had to be durable, as few things are more depressing than receiving a box of pot shards as a prize.

Though, I did reconsider my ceramic options briefly while shopping in the souqs but sadly, I had to rule them out.


Even if I could get them home safely--and we already know from the crack-pot post how good I am at that--, I would risk serious disappointment if they broke in the mail.

They were so pretty though...

So back to the process for choosing the prize. After arriving in Marrakesh we made our way to the riad where we would be staying.



A riad is traditional style Moroccan home, with a breezy inner courtyard. Many of them have been turned into restaurants or places to stay. They're basically the Moroccan equivalent of a bed and breakfast.

Pretty right?

The little humble in the courtyard
Why would you ever stay at a hotel here when you can have this? You can't beat the charm of these beautiful old--and often far less expensive--houses.




So why am I talking about a riad and not the prize? Well I'm getting to that...

In Morocco, mint tea is the cultural beverage of hospitality, commonly served to guests. Once we finally navigated the mind boggling maze of alleyways and found our temporary home, we were invited to relax in the courtyard with cups of hot mint tea and cookies.




Trying to remember what these cookies were called. One was reminiscent of shortbread, another was filled with fig...


Anyway, so I am sitting there thinking: This is pretty darn great.

I'm in Morocco, enjoying mint tea and cookies in a lovely house. This is going to be a nice visit

I also thought, hey this is it. This would be an excellent prize, a Moroccan tea set!

After all, it is food related, Moroccan, durable enough to mail and would probably be a welcome prize for the contest. Or at least, I hope so.


Bought this cutie at Marrakesh's government-run handicrafts shop, just so I could be certain I wasn't going to foist a decorative-use-only tea pot off on anyone. I wanted to be certain I was getting something you can actually drink from safely. (I'd be mortified if I made anyone sick) Unfortunately you can't bargain in these shops, so you end up paying more than you would in the market. That's right folks, no dirham spared!





The glasses I bought in the souqs. I'll include two extras, for a total of four, with the teapot, just in case there is any breakage during shipment. This teapot generally serves two, but can easily fill the four cups.



The tea and the mint however, unfortunately you'll have to supply that yourself.

Carrying such things across boarders isn't always possible, but luckily, the ingredients are readily available in just about any country. So, the winner will have to be satisfied with instructions and recipes for making a good cup of mint tea.


So, how we will be handing out this prize?

I've come up with my pie contest grading criteria and it is, well... complicated.
One of the things I will be considering--in addition to my highly scientific, top secret point system--is input from my readers.

If there is a pie post that you enjoyed reading, something you wish to make (or have already made and enjoyed) or a pie that appeals to you for being yummy/interesting/clever/unique/or even practical, please do comment below.

You are not limited to a single pie, you can note several that caught your attention.


Thanks,

Ms. H

(All the contest pies are listed here on multiple pages, so be sure to check out the older posts too)

No comments:

Post a Comment