Pages

.

Top 10 Most Difficult Dishes To Make?



I was flipping through the Epicurious blog today and I came across this post. It contains the author's top ten most difficult recipes to make (in her opinion). They are as follows:

1. Savory souffles

2. Coq au vin

3. Mole

4. Beef Wellington

5. Napoleons

6. Paella

7. Puff pastry

8. Baked Alaska

9. Croissants

10. Sourdough bread

I see this and think... ooh food challenge. Basically she is throwing down the gauntlet here right? Though I am not certain what the deal is with coq au vin or paella being on the list, as they are not overly complicated. Also, why are macarons not on this list?! Certainly macarons are harder to execute than a souffle (yes, even a cheese souffle).

A perfect croissant though, I agree that's a lot of work. And I'm not just talking about baking a butter laden crescent shaped pastry approximation. I'm talking flaky golden crust balanced by that perfect honeycomb interior. That requires patience and good execution.

Oh man, listen to me. I might need to do this list. I need to go buy some more butter asap.

So dear readers, do you agree with the contents of this list? What would your top ten include?

Macarons and consommé would most certainly be at the top of mine. Pancakes would probably also make the list too, because I make horrible pancakes.

Today's photos brought to you today by Brandon Martin-Anderson, Charles Haynes (via wikipedia) and the letter Q

No comments:

Post a Comment