Pages

.

Science Cookie Roundup #4



Somehow April slipped by without a science cookie roundup!

How did that happen? That sneaky month just went ahead and ended on me without any warning. Time it seems, just slips by when you've got a lot going on.

Well, better late than never! Right?

Science cookie roundup #4!

This time we have so many terrific cakes that I can barely get away with calling it a "cookie roundup" but I'm going to anyway (because I can).

I baked the cookies pictured above (along with nearly 60 others) this month. I'm not going to go into detail about what they are exactly, since they're for a project that is still in the works. Still, they're my contribution to this month's round up. If you can guess what they are, geek-gold-star for you!

Let's get on to the baking nerdery...

Crissy made the following gorgeous science cake. So pretty that even if you have no idea what it depicts, you can still appreciate its handsome good looks.

"I'm currently a third year grad student focusing on cilia biology. I made this cake last year for one of my labmate's birthdays - it depicts the cross-section of a 9+2 cilium by transmission electron microscopy. I covered the cake in homemade marshmallow fondant, which I also colored and used for the design."


Kim sent me several batches of science themed baked goods, including this beautiful cake.

"The cake a bit more math-related than science, but it seemed right up your alley anyway. It is a normal white cake with basic frosting gone horribly nerdy. It was for an 80's themed birthday party, hence all the colors. Around the outside is the birthday girl's name spelled out in binary (ASCII) and in the middle is an equation for finding the probability of 2 people out of a group of n having the same birthday."

Statistics is very much up my alley. I loved it!

"One is a set of mole-shaped mole-assus cookies spelling out Avagadro's number. I made them for some nerdy boys I know in honor of Mole Day a few years back. The extra dough became some recognizable (and some not-so-recognizable) molecules."






Fellow baker and science lover Andrea made this incredible brain cake!

"Our Neuroscience Club participated in the chocolate festival here at our university so I made this brain cake. I know its not a cookie, but I think it fits right in with all of the science-food fun! Its made of 3 layers of devil's food cake, carved into the dome shape and covered with homemade dyed fondant."




Molecular Biologist Carolyn sent me these mice cookies she made for her lab.

I really find it amusing how biologists love mice cookies, but when I show a biologist a petri dish cookie the general response is: "I can't bring myself to eat that!"

Sure petri dishes smell bad but do the mice really smell much better? I'm digressing here... on to the mice cookies!

Clockwise from top left:
GFP mouse
Dorsal skin chamber with GFP tumor
Cranial window with GFP tumor
Nude mouse (cover your eyes kiddos)


Monica, a former science teacher, sent in these crayfish cookies she made for her son's class (they studied crayfish this year).


I actually have this exact cookie cutter. I used to have a couple of them but I sent one to a friend who claims to be 'allergic' to seafood. I thought it would be a good way to taunt him.

I know, I'm a great friend.

Very cute cookies, Monica.


Marta sent in an absolute wealth of engineering cookies for this month's roundup:



Ohm's law
- Fourier's law (heat conduction)
- Electromagnetic field
- Atom (a classic)
- Organigram (they have some subjects on Management)
- Circle surface (I particularly like this one. So geek).
- Reynolds' number
- Laplace transform
- Integration of the exponential function (which is equal to itself, integration has no effect. It seems to be a maths joke.)
- Feedback
- On/off button



- Binary numbers
- Electronic boards
- BJT transistor (third row, second column)
- Vector addition (third row, forth column)
- Cantilever beam (third row, fifth column)
- Two-spam beam (forth row, fourth column)



I hope I got everyone!

Ever since publishing my email address on here, I've been inundated with spam. Stock tips, male enhancement, cheap prescription drugs, deposed Nigerian royalty with lots of money in need of safe keeping, you name it.

It is making managing my daily emails a little annoying. So if you got lost in the crush and I missed you, send me an email today and I'll edit you in. If you're interested in being in the next science cookie roundup just send me an email to notsohumblepieblog@gmail.com and I'll share your baking nerdery.

If you send me a 419 scam, my bank account routing number is 3304...

No comments:

Post a Comment