Pages

.

Monday Odds & Ends



Happy Monday folks! I've had a very busy weekend. Lots of baking, errands, a birthday party, and a cracked rib from an over enthusiastic two year old jumping on my chest.

You know, the usual.

I've been busy with decorating science cookies for most of the weekend and will be wrapped up in their construction for most of today, and possibly tomorrow.

As icing dozens of cookies allows for little in the way of multitasking, I lack any suitable baked goodies to post today. However after a long weekend I feel as though I should post something, so I'm going to use this opportunity to get a couple announcements out of the way.

First off, I must metion this Medieval Stew from Inspired By Wolfe. Remember my post on medieval cooking? Well Inspired by Wolfe actually made the stew and posted it.

The result: amazingly edible.


The next thing I need to mention is something that I brought up in the comments section of one of my posts last week. Since there seems to be interest I'm going to go ahead and announce the...

Not So Humble Pie Contest

Okay, here is the deal. Next month I leave for London and will be staying with Mother Humble for a couple weeks. There will be travel time (18 hour flight with a toddler?! AHH!), jet lag, a completely different kitchen and many other obligations that will most likely reduce my weekly post count. I want to keep things lively around here for those weeks so I've decided I'll host a contest, a pie contest.

Fitting right?

While overseas I will be making a side trip to Morocco and I'll be picking up prize(s) for the contest. What? I have no idea. I'll figure it out while I am there but I can assure you they, like most Moroccan handicrafts, will be quite spiffy.

To enter your pie you'll need to email me at least one photo of the pie and a recipe to my email address (notsohumblepieblog@gmail.com). You can also include any interesting anecdote or history related to the pie, or talk a bit about your own blog if you're a food blogger. That's right, I'll plug your blog.

I myself read a lot of food blogs and I've noticed some really great blogs are ridiculously underexposed. I thought this would be a good chance to showcase some of the food blogs run by my readers. After all, we're one big happy blogging community, right?

So yes, whatever commentary you would like to accompany your pie I can probably work into the post.

Within reason of course. If you send me a 30 haiku poems devoted to Hannah Montana along with your pie, I might take issue with that.

Try to keep it limited to a maximum of 5 teen pop idol poems. Okay?

Thanks.



What am I defining a as a 'pie'? Anything in a crust with a filling. Tarts, hand pies, cheesecake, quiche, etc. Sweet or savory, if it has a crust and something inside then I'll consider it a pie. It can be your own recipe or from your favorite cookbook (as long as the instructions are in your own words).

It just can't be humble. No humble pies allowed.

If you're interested in entering, do send me an email or post a comment here letting me know you might bake something. That will help me plan ahead for next month. That isn't a requirement to enter, though. You can enter via email anytime between now and May 15th.

Winners will be chosen in a completely arbitrary fashion by me when I return from London. I'll give weight to photography, recipe, reader comments (possibly a poll too) and the pie's general lack of humility. For the sake of postage, I must limit prizes to US, Canada and the UK (unless I manage to find a prize what won't cost $75 to mail to the Maldives etc).

Sound good? Then go forth and bake!

No comments:

Post a Comment